KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Malaysia's government said Tuesday that it was seeking $251 million in compensation from Norwegian company Kongsberg Defense & Aerospace AS after Norway abruptly revoked an export permit that scuttled a naval missile defense deal for Malaysia's combat ships.

Defense Minister Mohamed Khaled Nordin said that the government had issued a formal notice of demand to Kongsberg following the cancellation, which blocked the delivery of the Naval Strike Missile system, or NSM, and launcher components that Malaysia had already largely paid for.

“We are claiming both direct and indirect costs. The direct cost amounts to 126 million euros ($146 million) which has already been paid,” he said. “We are also seeking substantial indirect costs, bringing the total claim to about 1 billion ringgit ($251 million).”

The indirect costs included the removal of missile mounting systems already installed on the navy’s vessels, as well as the integration of replacement systems, he said.

Malaysia inked a deal for the NSM anti-ship missile system in 2018 for Kongsberg to arm Malaysia’s new class of littoral combat ships under a broader naval modernization program.

Norway’s foreign ministry said that the government has strengthened oversight, with sales of its most sensitive defense technologies now restricted to the country's allies and closest partners. The cancellation sparked sharp protests from the Malaysian government.

Khaled described the move as a serious breach of trust that could undermine confidence in international defense procurement deals.

“What happened to us is not just a defense procurement issue, but reflects an erosion of trust in international relations,” he said. “When such commitments can be unilaterally revoked, confidence in the entire system begins to erode.”

In a response to queries from The Associated Press, Norway's foreign ministry said it was unable to comment on individual cases due to confidentiality obligations under the Export Control Act. Kongsberg officials couldn't be immediately reached for comment.

Keep Reading

This handout photo from United Against Nuclear Iran shows two oil tankers making a ship-to-ship transfer of Iranian oil in the Eastern Outer Port Limits (EOPL), 70 kilometers off Malaysia's coast in international waters on 28 July 2025. (Charlie Brown/United Against Nuclear Iran via AP)

Credit: AP

Featured

Georgia Supreme Court candidates Miracle Rankin (left) and Jen Jordan address media in Atlanta on April 30, 2026. They violated the Georgia Code of Judicial Conduct by promising to restore abortion rights, the Georgia Judicial Qualifications Commission said Monday. (Arvin Temkar/AJC)

Credit: Arvin Temkar/AJC